This no spread cutout sugar cookie recipe makes beautiful cookies that keep their shape with clean edges every time! Perfect for decorating!
One of my favorite things to decorate is cutout sugar cookies. The most important thing when decorating a sugar cookie is that they keep their shape when baked. Otherwise, the cookies come out all misshapen and it’s nearly impossible to decorate them nicely. There are a lot of things you can do to make sure your cookies keep their shape when baked. One of the best things you can do to ensure your cookies look as great coming out of the oven as they do going into the oven is using a good recipe. A recipe with wacky sugar, butter, flour ratios will spread out and ruin your hopes for beautiful cookies every time.
My favorite thing to decorate cutout sugar cookies with is royal icing. Royal icing dries hard so the cookies can be packaged and stacked and it allows you to do a more detailed design on your cookies. You could also use buttercream or a glaze on your cookies which will give you a sweeter cookie but you won’t be able to decorate them as intricately as you could with royal icing.
The Cookie Dough
The ratios in this recipe are just right and these hold their shape perfectly every time. This recipe has no leavening in it. The whole point of leavening is is to make baked goods rise and puff up. Obviously, we want these cookies to keep their shape so leavening is left out. Since these have no leavening, adding cornstarch to the dough helps to give the cookies a softer bite. I always chill my cookie dough when making decorated cookies. Chilling the dough solidifies the fat in the dough which helps keep the cookies from spreading.
I love a beautifully decorated sugar cookie and this cutout sugar cookie recipe is my go-to recipe. I use this recipe every time I make decorated cookies and they always come out of the oven in the exact same shape with clean edges. Perfect for decorating!
No Spread Cutout Cookies
- 2 cups unsalted butter (454 grams)
- 2 cups sugar (400 grams)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (780 grams)
- Cream together butter and sugar for approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add in vanilla extract, almond extract, cornstarch, and eggs. Mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine salt and flour. Add flour mixture to sugar and butter mixture until combined.
- Roll out cookie dough between two pieces of wax paper and chill in fridge for at least one hour.
- When ready to bake, remove from fridge, cut out in desired shape, and bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet at 350 degrees for approximately 8 minutes.