Shout out to my dentist for filling that cavity I had so I could go home and eat way too many of these orange cookies!
Last week, I was sitting in the dentist’s chair waiting for my mouth to get fully numb so my cavity could be filled when I had the idea for these cookies! Weird timing, right? Sorry to my poor dentist. Obviously, I’ll be back. Hopefully with no cavities. Fingers crossed. But for now…on to the orange cookies!
I’ve been trying to use oranges more recently because I feel like they’re overlooked in the dessert world. Apples, bananas, pumpkins, and lemons get all kinds of praise while poor old orange doesn’t get near as much love. So, I came up with these dark chocolate cardamom orange icebox cookies!
The orange flavor comes from freshly squeezed orange juice and combining the zest of an orange with sugar in a food processor. I love the little hint of spice the cardamom gives the cookie. The dark chocolate balances out the sweetness a little bit. All combined it makes for a really delicious and unique little orange cookie.
Once the dough comes together, it is rolled into two logs and then chilled for several hours. I prefer to chill it overnight because it gives all the different flavors time to become really pronounced in the cookie. That is… I let the dough chill overnight if I can manage any sort of self-control and don’t end up eating the whole batch of cookies right then and there. So… overnight-ish.
Then all you have to do is remove the dough logs from the fridge, slice the log into cookies, and bake on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. When completely cool, dip each cookie in dark chocolate and… Voila!
If you try these out, let me know what you think in the comments! Check out some more cookie recipes here!
Dark Chocolate Orange Cardamom Icebox Cookies
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (109 grams)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (99 grams)
- 1 zest of orange
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp (227 grams)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (375 grams)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (226 grams)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place sugars and zest of one orange in food processor and pulse about 3 times until combined.
- Transfer to mixing bowl and add butter. Cream together for about 2 minutes.
- Add in vanilla extract, orange juice, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt. Mix until combined.
- Scrape bowl and mix in egg.
- Mix in flour one cup at a time until combined.
- Separate dough into two. Roll each dough into a log and cover with plastic wrap. Allow dough to chill for at least one hour or overnight.
- Remove dough from fridge and use a knife to slice into approximately 1/4 inch wide cookies. Bake for approximately 13 minutes on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Once cookies have cooled, melt dark chocolate and dip cookies halfway into chocolate. Allow to set.
- Store cookies in airtight container.