Happy New Year! Kick-off your 2019 with these delicious caramel apple cookies!
I hope your New Years’ Eve was great and you’re ready for some caramel apple cookies! I spent the last couple hours of 2018 baking my very spoiled, sweet dog a cake for his fourth birthday! We had a little doggy birthday party for him today. A post with the cake recipe and some of the cutest pupper pictures ever is on its way soon!
Today, we’re talking about these delicious caramel apple cookies! I baked these so many times over the holidays and they were a real hit with everybody who tried them.
The highlights of this cookie are definitely the apple, the spices, and the gooey caramel center.
You can use any type of apple you like, I just prefer granny smith for this particular recipe given is tart flavor. The tartness of the apple combined with the sweetness of the caramel is perfect. You’ll want to peel and dice the apples into small chunks so that they incorporate nicely into the cookies.
This recipe calls for a delicious combination of cozy spices. Cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg combine to add to these cookies’ yummy flavor and will make your whole house smell wonderful. Win win.
I like to use the Kraft brand caramel candies for these cookies because even when the cookie cools the caramel stays at a chewy consistency instead of getting rock hard. Use the backside of a spoon to flatten the caramels slightly before using them in the cookies. This helps the caramel be more evenly spread out in the cookies. Once you have the caramels flatten, simply sandwich the caramel in the middle of the dough to get that gooey center.
What gingerbread cookie would be complete without a glaze? These are topped off with a glaze drizzle.
Give these a try and let me know what you think in the comments below! Cheers to 2019!
Caramel Apple Gingerbread Cookies
For the Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 22 soft caramel candies, unwrapped
For the Glaze
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In medium mixing bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Mix in diced apple. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugars in mixer on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Mix in molasses, egg yolk, and spices until combined.
- Add half of flour mixture into the sugar mixture. Scrap bowl and then stir in the second half of the flour mixture.
- Using the back of a spoon or a rolling pin, slightly flatten each piece of caramel.
- Scoop one tablespoon of cookie dough and place a caramel on top. Place another tablespoon of dough on top covering the caramel and roll into a ball.
- Place cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 16 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for approximately 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Once cookies have cooled, whisk together milk and confectioners’ sugar and drizzle glaze on top of each cookie. Store cookies in an airtight container.