The cinnamon, brown sugar, and rum flavors in these bananas foster cupcakes are the perfect cozy treat for cooler weather!
Hi friends! Welcome to today’s deliciousness! I’ve got a wonderful bananas foster cupcake recipe to bless your taste buds. Coincidentally, this morning photos from mine and hubs recent trip to New Orleans showed up in my Facebook memories. What a fun place to visit with so much yummy food to taste. If you didn’t know, now you know, Bananas Foster originated in New Orleans! So shout out to New Orleans for the original inspiration behind this delicious dessert! It’s made by cooking bananas, brown sugar, cinnamon, and rum and served with vanilla ice cream. Who wouldn’t want that in cupcake form!?
I adjusted the vanilla cupcake recipe from my banana pudding cupcakes for the base of these bananas foster cupcakes. These cupcakes have real mashed bananas in them, which I love, and brown sugar instead of regular white sugar for the yummy caramel-like flavor.
Typical bananas foster is served with vanilla ice cream, so for our bananas foster cupcakes, the frosting comes through with all the vanilla flavor. The frosting could not be more simple to make, all you need to do is put all the ingredients, your heavy cream, vanilla pudding mix, and powdered sugar, in your mixing bowl and whisk on medium speed for around six to seven minutes. Soon you’ll have delicious, fluffy vanilla frosting. What I love most about this type of frosting is the sweetness of it is not too overpowering the way a traditional buttercream frosting can be sometimes. The subtle vanilla flavor of this frosting really allows you to taste all the other flavors as well.
Finally, the sauce! Let’s be honest without the fantastic sauce bananas foster would just be bananas and ice cream and these cupcakes would just be banana cupcakes. The sauce is where all the magic happens! The sauce is made by heating butter, brown sugar, cream, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and of course, rum…. because they wouldn’t be bananas foster cupcakes without rum. I used Captain Morgan spiced rum but you can use whatever you like best. Once you have all the ingredients for the sauce together, you’ll heat them in a saucepan on the stovetop and then you’ll add in your sliced up bananas pieces.
Once you get these bananas foster cupcakes all put together, it’s time to taste test the deliciousness of it all. I really love these. The cinnamon, banana, vanilla flavor combo is so good! Let me know in the comments below if you try this recipe and how you like it!
Bananas Foster Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (113 grams)
- 1 cup brown sugar (200 grams)
- 1/2 cup banana, mashed (200 grams)
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup milk (184 mL)
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (210 grams)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
For the Frosting
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
For the Sauce
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 3 tbsp dark rum
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 banana, chopped
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with paper cupcake liners.
- In mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar on medium speed for approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add mashed banana, egg, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Mix until combined. Scrap bowl to ensure all ingredients are combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder
- With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in three parts and buttermilk in two parts alternating, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Scrape bowl to ensure all ingredients are combined.
- Scoop mixture in prepared, lined cupcake pan. Fill each liner approximately 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean or with only a few crumbs when stuck into the center of a cupcake. Allow to cool on cooling rack.
For the Frosting
- Place cream, vanilla pudding mix, and powdered sugar in mixing bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment.
- Whisk on medium speed for approximately 6-7 minutes until mixture thickens to frosting consistency.
For the Sauce
- Place butter, sugar, cream, rum, cinnamon, and vanilla in small saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat on stovetop for approximately 7-8 minutes. Stir mixture while heating to avoid burning.
- Add in chopped banana and allow to simmer for another minute. Allow to cool.
- Using any large piping tip, pipe frosting on the tops of the cupcakes.
- Spoon cooled sauce on top of each cupcake