I present, for your consideration, Apple Butter Cake! The apple flavor is so yummy and perfect for the upcoming holidays!
So back in the day, for a short time, I worked at a Cracker Barrel. If you know anything about Cracker Barrel then you know that one of the best parts about going there is the little country store attached to each one that is filled with all kinds of goodies. One of those goodies is… Apple Butter! The best apple butter. So delicious. I am not exaggerating at all when I say I ate SO. MUCH. apple butter when I worked at Cracker Barrel. I never got tired of it and even now I could eat it by the spoonful. It’s just so good.
Naturally, I wanted to find a way to use this delicious apple nectar of the gods in a baking recipe. Therefore, I present, for your consideration, Apple Butter Cake!
What is Apple Butter?
It has occurred to me that some of you out there may not have been blessed with the deliciousness of apple butter and may not even know what it is. Wild! Apple Butter is made by slowly cooking apple in either water or cider until the sugar in the apples carmelizes. The caramelization of the sugar causes the apple butter to turn a nice brown color.
It couldn’t be easier to make this cake. First, you’ll want to cream the butter and sugars together on medium speed for around four to five minutes. Next, you’ll add the apple butter, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, you’ll combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Then alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk to the mixing bowl until everything is completely combined together. The batter will be thick. Spread into a greased 10-inch bundt pan, bake at 350 degrees for about 55 minutes, and baddabing baddaboom… you’ll have an apple butter cake!
Of course, we can’t forget about the glaze topping! Once the cake had been removed from the pan you’ll for sure want to top it with some yummy glaze. The glaze is made by combining melted butter, confectioner’s sugar, vanilla extract, and some milk. Whisk it all together and spoon it over the top of your cake. So simple and so good.
Be sure to comment below if you make this recipe and let me know what you think!
Apple Butter Cake
For the Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (226 grams)
- 1 cup brown sugar (200 grams)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
- 1 cup apple butter (272 grams)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (120 mL)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (360 grams)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
For the Glaze
- 2 tbsp butter, melted (28 grams)
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar (120 grams)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk (30 mL)
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 10-inch bundt pan.
- In mixing bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar for approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add apple butter, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt
- With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in three parts and buttermilk in two parts alternating, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Scrape bowl to ensure all ingredients are combined.
- Spread batter evenly into greased pan. Batter will be thick. Bake for approximately 55 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool for around 15 minutes before removing from pan.
For the Glaze
- Whisk together melted butter, confectioner's sugar, vanilla extract, and milk until smooth. Spoon glaze over top of the cake.